Thursday, March 2, 2017

I'm escaping to my blog because I've had more whining than I can handle.😳

Hazel is supposed to be working on math and writing, but she and Olive are throwing pencils and crayons at each other. Hazel has done well in the sporadic lessons we've done together. She's reading and writing, even if much of her spelling is difficult to decifer. She enjoys math best, and has progressed quickly through new concepts. I had hoped to make it through all the curriculum (we're using Horizons)  before summer, but that just won't be possible. Even with us working through the summer she won't complete all four phonics books and the two math workbooks before she starts real kindergarten. The days are flying by, and not a day goes by that I don't think about how sad it will be when she and Olive don't have all day to play together. They are such good friends to each other!

Track season has begun. Sam - we call him that now since that's what all his friends know him by - is running middle and long distance events for Vandegrift, and William is sprinting at Canyon Ridge. Sam has his third track meet tomorrow night and William his first. Somehow Brian and I will have to work magic and be in Steiner and Hutto at the same time. I like track season. It's a lot of driving and alot of sitting in the cold between events, but it means hours of conversation and making out under the bleachers with my love.

Brian and I ran two marathons in the last two months. I trained minimally for the first, Houston, and not at all for the second - Austin. I've been walking like a crazed woman though, shooting for 16 - 17 miles a day out here in the hills, and that really paid off. I didn't run terribly fast overall, but the hills of Austin felt like nothing. I'm going to try to continue shooting for 30K steps a day on my fitbit. I get out every morning and walk 5 miles, and then walk another 5 in the afternoon. Sometimes more if Brian and I get out to walk. I usually get another five to seven just from my daily activities. It doesn't do the same thing for my heart as running, but I'm lifting weights in addition, so hopefully that helps.

I'm embarking on a new adventure: I'm going to college. I took my TSI assessment last Saturday, and attend an Area of Study session this Saturday. I intend to be a teacher. I initially thought I wanted to go into elementary education, but I am now thinking I'd prefer to be a history teacher. I'm hoping to begin classes in the summer. I need to get a headstart on Margaret who is also planning to start on her education degree in the fall. Brian teases that she and I will be sorority sisters and eventual dorm mates at UT or Texas State. We'll both be starting out at ACC. I am going to try to finish as quickly as possible. Olive starts school in two and a half years. Once she's in, I'll be able to tackle school head on. I'm excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment