Monday, March 13, 2017

This is spring break for the kids. Margaret worked Friday night, but the rest of us were home. Some watched a movie, some went walking, and some went to sleep. I got up early Saturday morning and made oraange cinnamon rolls for the family before we went our separate ways, Samuel to Vandegrift to leave for an overnight track meet trip, Margaret to babysit, and the rest of us out to the rodeo. 
After the rodeo and petting zoo, we stopped in for brunch at Donn's BBQ, one of our old favorite places. The serve one of the best Mexican breakfasts you'll find in Austin, and then some of the best BBQ after that (their potato salad will make anyone a potato salad lover). Long ago, when it was just Brian and I, and then Margaret and Samuel, we lived down the road from Donn's, out in the country. We'd stop in on a regular basis. It was good to see that it hadn't changed. 
We spent the rest of Saturday rearranging furniture. Brian has been wanting the big desk in our room for a long time, and we finally did it. It's so heavy and difficult to move that you don't just move it. We had to discuss it for half an hour, argue about it, and shout each other down, before William, John, Brian, and I finally took it apart and carefully moved it from the office into our bedroom. I love this desk! It was my great grandfather's, and I feel honored that we ended up with it. It has so many cubbies and drawers and slots. I already feel so much more organized. 
We ordered a sleeper sofa to put in the office. This room has been under utilized in our house. The big desk took up so much room in there that there wasn't much room for anything else. We want to make it a combination study and guest room. I plan to repaint it. When we remodeled nearly two years ago I chose to have this room painted Sherwin Williams' unusual gray. It looked nice the way we had it arranged with the big oak desk and the tall book shelves, but now that we've rearranged, I want to try to make the style and color more cohesive with the rest of the house. I intend to paint the walls Eider White like the majority of the rest of the house, and the bookshelves and small wooden desk black. 

Yesterday I got up and went for a run to Lake Austin and back, something like 8 and a half miles. It was cold and drizzly, but I'm glad I pushed through. Margaret and Brian were running the other direction; to Lake Travis, but I wanted some time to myself. 
We went to church at Hill Country Bible SR. They meet at our elementary. I'm not sure if I've mentioned the church move, but we've been attending there since August. It has been such a blessing to us. It's a satellite campus, so we get the sermons on telecast, but I don't mind that. The different style of worship has been the biggest adjustment, but I think the kids are getting used to it. Both Brian and I have got involved in studies and small groups, but the kids haven't yet joined the youth group or participated outside of Sunday morning. But they never participated in youthgroup at Redeemer either. I love going to church with people we also see at the grocery store, the park, football games, and other school functions, and even when I'm out running. There's a real sense of accountability. 
I've changed my major already. I have decided to go into nursing. Long ago, when I was a kid and later as a teen, I wanted to go into the medical field. But the "Christian" cult I grew up in forbid women from getting a real education and working outside the home. I looked into colleges, thought about leaving and going to school without the blessing of m parents, but eventually abandoned the idea. The cult taught that parents are always right and that if you went against their wishes, even as an adult, you'd received condemnation from God. So I didn't go to college, and I let the dream die. 
I haven't considered the medical field again until recently. A little spark of a thought began in my head that maybe I should become a nurse. I casually mentioned this to Brian, and he was very excited about it, as he could see nursing as a better fit for me than being a teacher. I'm even more anxious to meet with an advisor now. I wonder if this is God awakening a long dead dream of mine??
Well, I'm about to head out on a five mile run. Trying to become a runner again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment