Wednesday, January 12, 2011

untitled

the cold front came in the other night. it felt like i went to sleep in Texas and woke up in Minnesota. kudos to my husband who went out and ran at 6 am. in the frigid weather. he's amazing.

i was back at work at the church yesterday, doing childcare for Classical Conversations. we couldn't take the kids outside because it was so cold, so that made for a longer day than usual, but overall things went well. they are sweet babies. i thought i'd be dead on my feet after that 20 miler the day before, but i felt great. i guess i'm not as old and decrepit as i thought.

i took Margaret and her friend to basketball practice at the Y last night. i did the elliptical and rode the bike and did some weights. the gym was packed out, maybe because of the bad weather.

Maplewood's science fair is coming up, and we have to try to come up with 4 different science projects. this is so not my thing. i'm a math and science idiot. i checked out these books that are supposed to help, but i can't make sense of them.

the other day as Samuel and i were sitting warming ourselves in front of the fireplace, he asked, quite out of the blue, "Mommy, are you ever going to have another baby?" i said i didn't know, but i didn't think so. he followed it up by saying that if i did, i could be the mother of a multitude. (??) maybe it had to do with him reading about Abraham lately in his daily Bible reading.

this morning John crawled in bed with me and i read some of my daily Bible readings to him as we snuggled. how did he go from the little one that slept in our bed, right there in the crook of my arm, to the big six and a half year old?
after i took the kids to school this morning, i hit them gym again to "work out". i am not a fan of gyms and the term "working out" has always bugged me. it seems so unnatural. but, because i am a wimp and cannot run in cold weather, i had to do the gym thing. did the elliptical for about 45 minutes and called it a day.

i did my Meal on Wheels deliveries today. i visited with Esther, who has become my special friend. she got off talking about how when she was young she would look at old folks and think, "look at those old things! they're just taking up space! we need to send them off someplace, get 'em out of the way!" but here she is 80+ and still going and she said the young people are now looking at her thinking those same thoughts. i assured her that she and the people of her generation have so much to share with we younger ones, as they've walked this road before. anyways, it was a sweet conversations of give-and-take. i feel so very blessed to have these little windows of interaction with these older and wiser folks. they really are treasures! when i show up at their door with a meal and a smile you'd think i was giving them a million dollars. it makes me sad to think that they don't get much attention and respect and are cast aside like an old shoe.

i made coffee this afternoon, and Brian delighted me by stopping by for a cup on his way back to the office from a lunch meeting. he still thrills my heart when he walks through the door. actually now more than ever. i married up, and that's the truth.

this afternoon feels very Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle-ish as i made the kids hot coca and am baking oatmeal cookies while they do homework. wasn't that how all the stories in those books started? Wednesday folders went home today because it's Wednesday (!).  in Margaret's was a slip saying that they are going on a field trip to either a Hindu temple, a Buddhist temple, or a Jewish synagogue as part of their studies of world religions. our initial thought is that we won't let her go on the field trip. what about you? what would you do if it were your child?

in other news, i'm wearing jeggings today, something i swore i'd never do. personally i think they're tacky things, but i saw them for a steal, and bought them just because. and they're the only things clean that would go with me new boots.

i need to pick up another book to read. any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. yay for MN! lol. I feel bad for you guys - y'all just aren't used to that kind of frigid. :-P

    I think I would be okay with my child going to a Jewish synagogue, but I'm not sure about the others, unless I could attend with them.

    Oh jeggings...I bet they look good on you, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd let my child go to see others places of worship. It's not like they're converting but I think as a teenager it would be fun to see the difference in my church and others. I think I'd be more worried about them studying the religion then seeing the building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd let my child go. It would raise questions, and questions show they're thinking, which is a good thing. More opportunities to discuss the things we should be discussing, but in a more applicable way. Why *do* we really believe differently than other people do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess another reason I'd let my child go is, what reason would I give them for not letting them go? If I'm afraid it's going to corrupt their faith, I think that says I don't trust God to keep them. I don't think kids need to get the idea that other religions are to be feared.

    I say all of that just by way of thinking through it myself. I'm not projecting any of this reasoning or emotion onto you, don't worry. =)

    ReplyDelete