Monday, January 4, 2021

Hindsight’s 2020

 1. What did you do in 2020 that you'd never done before?

Ran a sub-3:50 marathon. Wore a face mask.

2.  Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Yes, I read through the Bible using R.M. M’Cheyne’s method. I think that was the only measurable resolution.

I have 3 for this year: read through the Bible again, get 20K steps everyday, and get 1000 hours outside.

3.  Did anyone close to you give birth? 

No one very close, but two of my cousins and Brian’s cousin all had babies around the same time.

4.  Did anyone close to you die? Yes. My cousin, my grandfather, Brian’s aunt and uncle.

5.  What countries did you visit? None


6. What would you like to have in 2021 that you lacked in 2020?

Chickens and a pool

7. What date from 2020 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

March 13, the day the world changed

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? 

Doing so much on the house mostly by myself because Brian was working. I learned how to install lights and bathroom fixtures among other things.

9. What was your biggest failure? 

Getting impatient and annoyed at Brian. I took a lot of frustration out on him.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I got plantar fasciitis in the summer and had to stop running for several months. I also got an upper respiratory infection in December that knocked me down for awhile.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

An old house 

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Brian. He continues to love me. 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? 

Protesters, the Austin City Council, friends filled with hate,  the media...I could go on and on

14. Where did most of your money go? 

The house and an investment property across the street that we bought soon after moving here

15. What did you get really excited about?

Getting to see Sam. With covid travel restrictions we were sure we’d see him again before he deployed.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2020? 

“A Life Where We Workout” - Flatland Cavalry

“Mendocino County Line” - Willie Nelson

“Starlight” - John Pardi 

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder? 

I’d say happier. Being out of the city has given me room to breathe and experience peace like I didn’t have before. God has answered prayers about many things regarding church, kids, family, etc that has brought a greater measure fo happiness. Covid has revealed that I can’t take anything for granted. 

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? 

Drank more water, read to the girls 

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? 

Look at nonsense on the internet, drink so much, nag, heat style my hair

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Had a long weekend in Burnet with my mom and stepdad and all the cousins minus Margaret and Sam. We hosted our usual Christmas Eve party. We had a quiet Christmas Day at home and then went to New Braunfels to spend a few days with Brian’s family.

 21. How did you spend New Years?

I made finger foods. Brian and I danced in the kitchen. We watched “Singing in the Rain” with the girls. We went to bed around midnight. It was a quiet evening.

22. What was your favorite tv program?

I didn’t watch a single one this year 

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? 

Hate is such a strong word. There are individuals that I’ve chosen to distance myself from and institutions that I have no respect for anymore after this year but I wouldn’t go so far as to say I hate them.

24. What was the best book you read? 

I enjoyed “Somerset” and the sequel, “Roses” 

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? 

No one new, but I really enjoyed both Eric Church and Cody Johnson this year.

26. What did you want and got? 

Another day....but also a house I’ve always dreamed of living in, an old fashioned garden, a church that preaches the unadulterated gospel and uses historical liturgy, a swimming pool, kittens, friends in a new town, a husband who works from home....

27. What was your favorite film of this year?

I didn’t see any. I just don’t sit down and watch tv or movies.

 28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 

I turned 45 and we took Hazel and Olive over to Honey’s Pizza (owned by Steve and Amy of Amy’s Ice Cream). Our meal took so long that Steve came over and brought us a bunch of cocktails and comped our meal and sat and visited with us a long time. That was pretty cool. I can’t remember what else happened. 

29. What one thing would have made your year 

immeasurably more satisfying? 

Not having Margaret and Sam so far away

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2020?

Comfy. Retro.

31. What kept you sane? 

Spending time outside 

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

This is not really a public figure but I so enjoyed following Katie at florencerevival as well Lauren Leiss.

33. What political issue stirred you the most? 

Which didn’t? Ugh. There was so much ugliness this year I prefer to not rehash it.

34. Who did you miss? 

The Momfia, Tasha, people in general. Social distancing was hard!

35. Who was the best new person you met in 2020?

Jeannie Ralph! She’s a godsend!

36. Tell us some valuable life lessons you learned in 2020.

That’s a tall order! Enjoy the little ordinary things. These will one day be the things you miss most.


Happy New Year!





No comments:

Post a Comment