Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Tuesday, September 13

Sitting here in the office helping Hazel work through her phonics school work. It's sometimes painfully slow, but she's making progress and loves "doing school".

After sixteen and a half years at the same church i think we've made the switch to another church body. It has been a gradual change. We kind of eased into it. We have struggled with the 40 minute drive to RPC each week since we moved out to this neighborhood. We aren't able to connect with people very well because we're so spread out over all parts of central Texas. We've found a sweet church that meets nearby, one we can walk to. It's quite different from what we've grown used to, but I kinda think that's a good thing. I've joined a ladies Bible study as well as a Mom to Mom group. It is so nice to be going to church with the same people that I see at my kids' schools and HEB and when I'm out walking! Brian also joined a men's Bible study. We've both desperately needed fellowship and accountability and it seems the Lord is answering our prayers. 

Sunday night we made brownies and dropped them off at the fire station in the neighborhood. It was just a little way to honor those who have served and those who have lost there lives serving. It being 9/11, I expected the firemen to be a little tired of receiving gifts since we came by at the end of the day. Instead they seemed genuinely grateful that we had come by to thank them.

Brian and I are ramping up our marathon training. We did an 8 or so mile run to Lake Travis and back Sunday evening. We were just in time to see the sunset. We hadn't done that run together in a long time, probably nine months. It's one of my favorites! This is my eleventh year running marathons. I have this little goal to be a runner the rest of my life but try not to look too much like a runner. 



Mama came yesterday and took me and the little girls to lunch at Kerbey Lane Cafe and then shopping. She bought me a couple of large Yankee Candles and a pair of Chuck Taylor converse. She hung around a little while after we got home so she could see some of the kids when they got home from school, and then she took Margaret to work so I wouldn't have to. Margaret wont get her license until next month. We got her a car for her birthday in April (a cute little black Beetle with a sun roof - so HER!), but she's technically still taking driver's ed. While she was nannying this summer and living with friends we let her drive around their small part of town as it's pretty much closed in and safe. She's been such a good driver that we let her drive short distances without us even though she only had her permit. Once cross country practice started at the beginning of August, Brian let her start driving her and Samuel to their 6 am practices every morning. Well, once morning in early August she was heading to practice with Samuel and the boy from down the street that is also on the cross country team. She was on 2222 and failed to yield when making a left turn and hit another car. Thankfully no one was injured and the airbags didn't even deploy. I think the body of the car wasn't even damaged, just one of the bubble like front fenders. She's been without her car for a month and a half now. We're hoping to get it back this week. She won't be punished for driving without a valid license other than the fine and will still get to take her test in October as planned.

 Brian and I are going to NE Texas to his 25th high school reunion this weekend. Twenty five years! He went to a small school with barely 60 kids in his graduating class. He's pretty excited about seeing them, and I'm excited about getting some time away with him. And it's my 41st birthday this weekend. I don't feel like I've been around for 41 years, but I'm so grateful I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment