Sunday, October 21, 2012

It's Sunday morning. I just finished having pizza for breakfast (carb loading for Saturdays marathon, maybe?) and am drinking some delicious coffee. For some reason we currently have five or six types of really good coffee beans in the house, which is way more than we usually have. I feel like royalty trying to choose which one to make each morning.

Last weekend Brian and I had a much needed getaway to celebrate our anniversary. Since we had Hazel with us, we stayed local. Thursday night we left the kids with Brian's parents at their new house in New Braunfels and went to see Willie Nelson in concert at John T. Floore's Country Store in Helotes. I'm so glad we did. The guy is 79, and who knows how much longer he'll be around. We stayed that night with Nonnie and GB, then the next morning Brian, hazel, and I took off. We stayed at the historic Faust Hotel in downtown NB fora couple of nights. We did lots of walking, lots of watching football, lots of talking, and a moderate amount of eating. I didn't get in any running the whole weekend, but I guess that's ok. I'm supposed to be tapering off anyways.

It was back to work on Monday. We had one decent day of school. The next day the wheels came off the wagon. I just couldn't go on. I told the kids I was done homeschooling and fell into a deep state of depression. The rest of the week I just let them homeschool themselves. I just couldn't do it. Brian agreed that we needed a change and that we were trying to do too much. We've been brainstorming different options and praying for wisdom. 

On Friday I discovered part of the reason for my so out-of-character pessimistic view of life: the return of my menstrual cycle. I guess I should've expected that after  going without it for 22 months, that the  return would be rather traumatic.  

I think I'm in a better state of mind now and am able to think clearly about all this, but it has helped Brian and I see that we are in over our heads and that we just may not be cut out for this homeschooling thing. At least not all the kids for all grades. 

Yesterday I took John and Hazel up to Georgetown for the. Vern's No Frills 5K. I paid John to babysit for me while I ran. So he sat there and played Mindcraft on my phone and talked to Hazel.

I can tell that my speed work has paid off some because I ran a comfortable pace, not pushing myself too hard and still finished  in 22:17. Afterwards we drove around old town Georgetown looking at houses. I really enjoy times like that with John. He talks my ear off and shares his heart with me.

We met Thomas and his kids out at Pedernales State Park for an afternoon of hiking and playing in the river. Though we were all tired, it was good that we got out of the city for awhile and took a breather. We came back home and had pizza and wine and the kids watched Chariots of Fire while Brian and I folded laundry and watched the Longhorn-Baylor game.
Well, it's off to the races, time to get ready for church. I so look forward to the this time all week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment