Thursday, April 11, 2024

Of Roosters and Rolls

 I haven't worked at the school much since spring break. It just seems like there's a never ending list of to dos around here. I never get bored here at home but I think it's good for me to get out of the house and do other things. Also I just love those kids! 

Well, the eclipse was Monday. Brian worked from home that day so we could view it together. I put together a picnic and we at out on the front lawn. It was overcast and we didn't have viewing glasses but we did get to experience the darkness of 98% totality. The street lights came on and the roosters started crowing. 

We'd had thunderstorms and rain off and on this week. I have two garden boxes and one kitchen herb box and all my plants are smiling. I've planted several roses bushes or vines since we moved here but this is the first season I've had success. My dream is to have a variety of colors outside the fence in front of the house, So far I've been successful with two, a white one and a peach. I had to move three smaller bushes up to the house. They're in the box outside my pantry window where I can keep an eye on them. 

We've had nine hens and two roosters for some time. We have two coops and alternate letting each rooster our with his gals. If they're both out they try to kill each other. We decided that the older rooster, Junior, must go. I attempted the dirty job a couple of times, chasing him with a hoe but he was always too fast, Yesterday both roosters got out at the same time and fought nearly to the death. Brian chased then round and round the yard, whacking at them. He finally caught Junior and wrung his neck as my father in law had instructed. Junior hopped right back up and kept going. We decided to rehome him to the top of the hill. There are enough flocks of wild chickens roaming this town that I'm sure he'll find his place. Now Smitty has all nine girls to himself. 

I made a double batch of orange cinnamon rolls yesterday. That's probably my favorite thing to bake and they make the house smell so yummy!

William and his friend Joseph signed a lease on a place in College Station for the fall. Sam is still in the process of getting his VA loan and GI bill stuff figured out so he can buy a place. The plan is for John to move in with him. By August it might just be Brian and I and the girls in this big old house. 

Sam is playing at the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner on Friday. He and his buddy Travis got slotted for the daytime show, but it's still good exposure. And to be able to play at the historic brewery is pretty sweet!

Margaret called last night and Dixie has her first tooth! I can't express what an amazing human she is! She had her doctor's visit and is in the 30th percentile in length and the 50th in weight. She's almost a year old which is hard to believe! I picked up some patterns at our thrift store and plan to sew her a few dresses for her birthday. They're classic styles like what I used to sew for Margaret. Margaret asked for a sewing machine for her birthday, so I got her one while they were here a couple of weeks ago and gave her a crash course in sewing. I don't know how much she retained. Sewing can be awfully frustrating till you understand how to run a machine well. I don't even know how to all that well and I've been sewing for 30 years. 

Brian signed us up for the Two Rivers Half Marathon in October. I'm on my break from running right now but need to get back at it at some point. I've been shooting for hitting 20k steps every day to maintain some level of fitness in the meantime. I have a membership at the rec center and pop in there every now and then to left weights though not often enough. I have no excuse since I can see the building from my front porch. 

Well, I better get this body out of bed and get Hazel off to school and Olive to her orthodontist appointment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment