Thursday, January 3, 2013

It's another cold morning. Contrary to popular belief, we actually do have cold weather is Texas. It just doesn't stay around for very long. This latest round has hung around longer than I like. A week and a half of not getting to wear shorts when we go out to play is rough. :)
They say we may have snow tomorrow.
The kids and I did a little post-Christmas shopping yesterday. I bought a couple of dish towels, a candle, and a sports bra - woohoo! I have way too many of those. Always looking for the perfect sports bra.
Brian and I had a little planning session at cherrywood coffeehouse last night while Margaret held down the fort. We split some tacos and had some local beers. Cherrywood is always a relaxing place to be. It was especially cozy on a cold night like last night.
We tried to hammer out a plan for the next few months. Brian is an engineer and likes to plan things out. I'm more fly-the-seat-of-my-pants, and generally make things up as I go, so we really are good for each other. Well, he's good for me. Not sure how good I am for him, ha!
Margaret and Samuel start school Monday. If I think too long about Samuel there at O. Henry without us, trying to find his classes and remember to write down assignments and all, I start to have a little panic attack for him. He is not good in new situations, and he breaks down when things get stressful. I worry about him crying in the hallways. But then, he just surprised us and went on a four day boy scout camp out without any family members. And survived, even enjoyed it! They do have on file that he has been diagnosed with ADD and Aspergers and receives the 504 designation because of it, but the other
middle schoolers arent gonna give him a pass because he's 504. Sigh. But it's time. It's time for him and for Margaret to step out and grow up. They've already grown a lot in the last year and a half that we've been homeschooling. I really believe this chance for them to attend O. Henry is an answer to prayer. What a blessing for them to be able to go to the best public middle school in town, even be bussed there! And we didn't have to do anything to make it happen. It was just dropped in our laps!
Michael and Jana gave me the book The Explicit Gospel as a Christmas gift. I've slacked off on reading much since Hazel been walking. I'm really looking forward to exercising my mind a little more now that Christmas has passed. I also ordered a biography of Abner Cook, the self-taught architect and builder who designed several buildings in Austin, including the Governor's Mansion, The Pease Mansion - "Woodlawn", and the Neal-Cochran House. He seems like a really interesting guy. I started The Prince and the Pauper last weekend. I love, love Mark Twain! Also on my night stand: Night by Elie Wiesel, Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck, and The Fires of Jubilee by Stephen B. Oates. Oh, and C. S. Lewis by A. N. Wilson. I've had that by my bed for half the year, I think.
Best get out and get my run in. The Austin Marathon is a month and a half away. I should make some attempt to train for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment