Saturday, January 19, 2013

Finally getting time for an update!

Margaret and Samuel survived and thrived their first two weeks of school. Margaret made the A team of the O. Henry soccer team and they won their first game. She's really enjoying the twice-a-week practices and the higher level of talent than what she has been familiar with at the YMCA. She is one of the smallest girls on the team, so she has to play twice as hard to stay in the game. And she does.

The kids have attempted to take the bus every morning, and that's provided all sorts of drama. They've been passed up by the bus, not picked up, got on the wrong bus, and have had one bus driver bring them to our doorstep because he didn't know where their bus stop was. We're hoping it will get better as time goes by. It sure is a help when I can send them off on the bus instead of driving them across town.

School has been going moderately well with the younger boys. John's apparent dyslexia concerns me more and more. I just don't know what to do to help him. I really want to keep him at home until middle school, of possible, but I may not be equipped to handle his needs. William is doing well. His behavior is much better with Samuel away at school during the day. He doesn't feel the need to compete for attention as much.

The ladies' Bible study started back up at Redeemer this past Thursday. We're studying Revelation and it's refreshing to hear it taught from a Preterist or partial Preterist view, though Dr. Campbell does present all views for the sake of comparison. Getting to fellowship with the other women has also been like a cup of cold water to my thirsty soul! I just soak it all up!

I've been trying to keep my running up since the Austin marathon is 4 weeks away. I did a 15 miler last Sunday afternoon and several short runs during the week. I really should try to run something in the neighborhood of 18 miles today or tomorrow. After that, I can probably cut back.

I cut most of my hairs off right after Christmas. Of course now I regret iota and notice that everyone else hashing, beautiful locks. I'm trying to make the best of it, and am still learning how to style it.

We went real estate hunting last Saturday, and I think, at long last we've found a suburban neighborhood that were happy with. We almost put an offer on a house in Steiner Ranch, but they wouldn't take a contingency offer. We're going to try to get our house on the market in the next could of months.

William and Samuel have been playing basketball at the Y since early December and that's provided a fun Friday night activity. John plays on Saturday mornings at the downtown Y. He and his cousin Tommy are on the same team. Crazy enough, John is the superstar player. He's never even been interested in sports before and now here he is making all the baskets for his team! I've enjoyed getting to spend some time with Thomas, both at the practices and the games. I don't know how things are going with him and Meredith. I just don't ask. I saw her once in December, but that was the first time since the summer, and have t seen her since.

I'm trying to find time to read, but that's been challenging. I've been poking my nose into several books lately: The Explicit Gospel, Sacred Marriage, The Prince and the Pauper, and a biography of Abner Cook, a local self taught architect of the nineteenth century.

I guess that's all the snippets of news I have now. Now it's off to the races!

No comments:

Post a Comment