Tuesday, October 18, 2011

time out for history

my brother got a hold of this picture of the old Evans homeplace in Hutto, north of Round Rock. it was taken in the 1880's. the house is still in the family, and my cousins Hudson and Luke live there with their mom. their dad, my uncle William "Bill" Evans, died a couple of years ago. this was where my great grandfather, Thomas Abraham Evans and his 14 siblings were raised. we still go out there for the annual Easter egg hunt. the house is really cool, but not literally, as it doesn't have a/c (which is basically unheard of here in Texas), and looks pretty much exactly like it did back then, both inside and out, although the house is now surrounded by a grove of trees. my ancestors were some of the first people in the area, and are credited with giving Round Rock its name.

No comments:

Post a Comment