Saturday, September 16, 2017

It's Saturday morning and Brian is lying next to me trying to get a little more snoozing in. He and I had planned to go to Georgetown to run the Vern's 5K this morning, but we backed out. It's been a full week and it feels good to lie around.

I just finished my third week of school. I'm enjoying this semester so much more than the previous. My classes are interesting and I'm not taking any math - Yay! Margaret is home two days a week since two of her classes are online, so we spread out our school work and study together on Mondays and Wednesdays. She is gone to class all day Tuesdays and Thursdays, and is home all day on Friday when I go in for classes. She watches Olive for me and gets Hazel to and from school. I wish every semester could work out just like this one is, but I know it just can't and won't.

Margaret has taken on several regular nannying jobs in the neighborhood. These have turned out to be much better than her restaurant job as the pay is better, they're closer, and she's able to study while she works. The downside is that she no longer takes or picks up Sam from work as they no longer work together.

Sam has been on crutches or in a boot for the past month recovering from a stress fracture. He ran the first XC meet of the season and was the fastest finisher of all the runners there. The next day he started hobbling. By the next weekend he was in so much pain he struggled to even finish the race. He's been off of running this month and has been going to a therapist. He's continued to work out aggressively every day to stay in shape so that he'll be reading when he gets the go ahead to run again. He rides 20-30 miles every morning on the bike, aqua jogs in the pool every night for 45 minutes to an hour, and stretches and foam rolls for an hour. It may sound over-the-top, but he really wants to stay in shape so he doesn't lose anything he's worked so hard for over the past year. He still has his eye on a running scholarship, and this is the year schools will start talking.

I've had a colitis flare up this year and finally scheduled a much needed colonoscopy. Not looking forward to that two day prep, but it will be good to know if I've got anything going on in there. The worst part for me is not getting to eat. I don't like to not eat.

Brian's sister and husband's home was flooded in Hurricane Harvey last month. They're living with friends for now until they can get the house livable again. They had to throw out almost everything that was in their downstairs. We went down to help that over Labor Day weekend. It was both very sad, but very encouraging - so many people loving their neighbor as themselves.

Well, I have two little ladies wanting me to fix breakfast - I've promised biscuits and sausage - so I must cut this short.

No comments:

Post a Comment