Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It comes up every month or so that the kids have been in public school: the need to justify our education decisions. Why must I prove to someone else why what I chose is best for MY children? Why must someone else prove that their choice for THEIR is better than mine? This is such a sensitive issue. It is especially touchy in my church full of affluent, highly educated parents who either have the money to send their children to one if the best private schools in the country, or who a capable of homeschooling, especially in the upper grades.
I am just growing weary of all my homeschooling friends constantly trying to prove that their education choice is the best, especially on Facebook where they don't have to look their friends in the face and tell them that what they're doing (in sending their children to public school) lazy, irresponsible, sinful, and is going to cause their children to lose their salvation. They wouldn't dare say this to their friends' faces, but hide behind blog links and newspaper columns. Why must they prove to me and everyone else that their to homeschool their children is best of all? Just because its best for them does not necessarily mean that it's best for all families. Have they been in my home, walked beside me day in and day out? Do they know my capabilities, my weaknesses? My children's capabilities and weaknesses? No. So why do they think they know what's best for my family? Let them prayerfully choose what is best for their family and leave me and my family to do the same.


End of my rant.



2 comments:

  1. Dang girl, sorry you are having such a rough go:( I wish ppl would ask more ?'s instead of just assuming they know what's up and that their way is the best/only way. Pretty much all my friends either send their kids to public or private school, so I'm really in the minority. I don't think HS'g is for everyone or every child and my most asked question other than WHY is "how long do you plan to do that?". I always say, I'll take it one day at a time, and hopefully if I ever have to send them to school, they'll be where they need to be to be able to just fit right in and do well. Sheesh. Gotta love unsolicited advice and ppl turning up noses. I get asked a lot when I work and boy have I gotten mixed reactions. I've found I don't bring up hs'ing until ppl ask where my son goes to school. lol. Good grief. Ppl are so idiotic. I think you're doing the best you can and are a wonderful parent and have given it your best shot and now have gotten them into the best school you can! What have you said in response to these ppl? I've started getting more tactfully honest and less defensive. Just unbelievable what ppl feel they have the freedom to even ask. OY!!! Hugs girl. I'm with you! I guess for me, the worst part is those that feel that I am condemning THEIR choices by just saying I homeschool. I'm like ??? I've had ppl give me a million reasons why their kids school is amazing and etc, and i'm like, cool. Good for you! Awesome. *funny* what triggers ppl and their insecurities. Keep up the good work, mama!

    ReplyDelete